Imagine yourself in an 18th century building…
The Antiguo Mesón Aspeytia now proudly goes by its original name dating from the 18th century. An Inn in the beginning, it later had the honor to serve for many years as barracks for the realist military, until the quarters were moved to Cebadal Street in 1802.
Another building worth mentioning from our historic past, is the house numbered 1 ½ from the “Callejón de Aspeytia.” It was home to Don Luis Mendoza, barber by profession, and active member of the Independence movement. From this very house, Mayor Don Ignacio Pérez took a horse and rode to San Miguel, to give the most urgent message sent by the Corregidora, that the conspiracy had been discovered. Mr. Mendoza’s name is written in gold letters over the State Legislature’s Chamber of Sessions.
History tells us that in the 18th century an uneducated priest from the Carmelite Order, by the surname of Aspeytia, lived on what is now Morelos Street (between Juárez and Pasteur), and gave up his habits, married and made a fortune. To the point that he subsequently owned and restored all of the homes facing south. The street was named “Callejón de Aspeytia” to honor him, where he lived the rest of his life and subsequently died without descendents.